Friday, January 30, 2015

Brace Yourselves: Lent is Coming

The Catholic Center at Boston University has been blessed for the past two years with the presence of a young man named Bobby.  He graduated two years ago from BU and has volunteered full time at the Catholic Center since then.  Bobby will get his own post here some day.  I mention him today because he is the creator of the attached meme.  I knew I made it big when I had my very own meme. (I don't think my eyes look that crazy in real life).  The fact is, every year, probably a couple of months before Lent begins, I start saying, "Lent is coming."  Why do I say it?  I say it because I need to hear it and to be prepared for it.  I say it because Lent is a BIG opportunity.

Here's the deal: for mature Christians, Lent needs a little bit of reflection, consideration, and preparation.  You don't want to be 55 years old and on the day before Lent begins be saying, "Well, I guess I could give up jelly beans."  Or, we don't want to be saying on Ash Wednesday, "Yeah, I've got to think of something to do for Lent."  Because if that happens, the next thing you know, Lent is half over and you're saying, "Well, I guess I blew it.  I will just do something next year."  Or, you don't want to go gangbusters a week before Lent saying, "I'm going to pray for three hours a day, eat once a week, and donate half of my earnings to the poor."  Then, by the Thursday after Ash Wednesday you're like, "Yeah, I'm not really going to do all of that.  So, I guess I'll do nothing."

Lent is coming.  February 18th is Ash Wednesday this year.  What are you prepared to do?  I think it has to be serious, but not unrealistic.  By serious, I mean let's not wimp out.  Lent is a time of fasting and abstinence.  Sometimes I hear it said, "Well, I think that this year I'm going to add something rather than give something up."  Now, don't take this the wrong way, but come on!  How about add something AND give something up.  Add fifteen minutes of prayer each day AND give up coffee or booze or bread or meat or something that is a little bit challenging.  Add spending time with people who are lonely or isolated AND give up one meal a day.  

Yes, we can also give up gossip, impurity, envy, anger etc.  But, actual fasting from physical food or pleasures makes us spiritually better fit to give up those other vices.  I don't think there is any way around the fact that we need to be serious.

But, we don't have to be unrealistic.  Do something that is challenging, but not bound to failure.  Many of us have, at one time or another, entered Lent with too grandiose a plan.  Let's not set ourselves up for failure.  Something that inconveniences us, hurts a little, but that will make us joyful in the effort.  Something that is possible.

Everyone is different.  Every year is different.  I offer here just a few examples of things that we could do during Lent.  Certainly, it is not an exhaustive list.  Just some things to get us started.

Daily Mass
Weekly Confession
Adding more daily prayer.  Maybe just fifteen minutes
Rosary
Divine Mercy Chaplet
A Holy Hour every day or a couple of days a week
Stations of the Cross
Reading some solidly Catholic Book
Reading a chapter of the Gospels every day
Giving up your bed and sleeping on the floor
Giving up coffee or booze
Fasting on particular days each week (perhaps only eating one meal on those days)
Not eating in between meals
Giving up Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, TV, etc
Giving up reading my blog---OF COURSE NOT.  
Giving up blowing your car horn
Giving up listening to talk radio or music while driving
Getting up fifteen minutes early each day
Visiting the Sick
Extending a charitable word to someone every day
Putting more money into the Church offertory each Sunday
Praying every day for your enemies
Spending more time with people you know need the extra time

Like I said, everyone is different.  But, we all need to grow in the spiritual life.  And, for two thousand years, the Church has been saying that three key ways to grow in the spiritual life are Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving.  Since the Church has been saying that for two thousand years, it's unlikely that she will suddenly say, "Hmmm.....nah . . . that fasting, prayer, and almsgiving stuff isn't so important."  

For me, one thing that I've discovered to be very helpful to my life is to live my Lenten disciplines along with others.  That doesn't mean that we are all doing the same thing, but it does mean that we encourage one another during Lent.  Living Lent together is a beautiful and powerful experience.  We pray for one another and we learn from one another.  This experience of living Lent with others really helps me.  This isn't a way of boasting to one another about our sacrifices.  It is a way of helping one another to remain steadfast.  In fact, the whole Lenten liturgies presume that we are all living Lent together.  I'm very grateful for the people who help me to live Lent well.

Another thing that I've learned during Lent is that I might fail.  It's not an all or nothing proposition.  If you give something up and fail or if you add something and don't do it one day, start again tomorrow. Don't just completely cave in!

Something that I learned about myself one Lent is that I was too attached to my particular disciplines.  I liked being able to say to myself, "I gave up "whatever" for all of Lent."  So, some years, I decide, "I'm giving up (alcohol, coffee, lunch . . . whatever) unless I'm with someone and they offer it to me."  In this way, I pretty much give that thing up for all of Lent, but I can't claim that I gave it up completely because there were one or two occasions when I had it.  It's hard to explain, but for me, it is a pride thing.  By having the cup of coffee on those one or two occasions or by missing my Holy Hour in order to meet with somebody, I deprive myself of the "pride" of claiming total success at the end of Lent.  Everyone is different.

And, of course, Lent isn't simply a self-improvement program.  Lent is about Jesus.  Lent is about drawing closer to Him.  Through our praying, fasting, and works of charity, we are drawing closer to Christ.  We are better able to hear his voice, to recognize his presence, to hope in his promises, to love with his love.  If all we do for Lent is give up something or even develop some particular virtue, we are missing what is most important.  Lent is about Jesus.  We want to be more on fire in our love for Christ at the end of Lent!  

Serious, but realistic.  We want to live Lent as though eternal life is important to us.  And, we want to live Lent recognizing that we grow a little at a time.  

Don't let Ash Wednesday arrive and find you unprepared.  Lent is coming.



1 comment:

  1. "... I pretty much give that thing up for all of Lent, but I can't claim that I gave it up completely because there were one or two occasions when I had it. It's hard to explain, but for me, it is a pride thing. By having the cup of coffee on those one or two occasions or by missing my Holy Hour in order to meet with somebody, I deprive myself of the "pride" of claiming total success at the end of Lent. "
    I look at it differently. I don't want to BRAG and say "Sorry I can't eat that, I'm fasting (or whatever)." That's like looking for applause from the person who offered you the offending food. Worse, what if someone made something special for you. What's worse, hurting someone or breaking your fast?
    Since Lent is about drawing closer to Jesus, we need to do things that bring us to him. And that may very well be changing our personal resolutions to fit the circumstance.

    ReplyDelete